I had the idea to post this recipe after my lovely friend got me a set of ramekins as a housewarming gift (thanks Becca!) Normally I would use ramekins for a dessert--molten lava cake (my all time favorite) or maybe a fruit crisp but I wanted to try something different.
Ramekins are a great cooking vessel as they are easy to clean and are perfectly portioned. This recipe would be great for a small brunch or a solo dinner night.
This huevos rancheros recipe is fairly low-cal (around 200 calories) so it would be great to pair with some fruit or a side salad if you eat this for dinner. The corn tortilla gives the dish such a distinct flavor and the cumin and garlic spice up the dish without all the added salt.
1 corn tortilla (6 inch)
2 Tbsp black or pinto beans, cooked
Pinch of ground cumin and garlic
1 Tbsp part skim cheese (mexican, cheddar, mozzarella, your choice!)
1 Tbsp salsa
1. Preheat your oven to 350 F
2. Mix together beans, cumin and garlic
3. Spray the inside of the ramekin with cooking spray
4. Heat up the corn tortilla for 10 seconds or until pliable, spray with cooking spray and place into ramekin
5. Once tortilla is in place, put in beans, egg, and cheese (any order you wish)
6. Place ramekin(s) in the oven and cook for approximately 15-20 minutes depending on how well done you like your eggs
7. Once cooked, you can eat it straight from the ramekin or plate the dish. Top with salsa and you're done!